Monday, June 16, 2008

Halka Halka Suroor ...

Song of the moment: Ye Jo Halka Halka Suroor Hai (Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan).

I've always found this one singer absolutely amazing. And now I find him convincing. I realized the amount of liveliness he brings to love. The love's worth the pain, he tells me.

This sensational Qawwali of 23 minutes and 4 seconds is one of his many wonders and one of my many favourites. I am sure he'd not fail you if you chose to listen to this one.

tera naam loon zuban se, tere aage sar jhukaoon,
mera ishq keh raha hai, main tujhe khuda bana doon

(I speak thy name, I bow my head in front of thee,
my love's advising me to make thee my Lord)


And what's even further fantastic is that majorly the additional ingredients he uses to prepare the "soulful" music are the
Tabla and Harmonium, and ofcourse, the wonderful, wonderful raagas... I cannot just stop tapping the table or anything at hand when I listen to him.

tera naam mere lab par, mera tazkara hai dar dar
mujhe bhool jaye duniya, mai agar tujhe bhula doon

(Your name's on my lips, every door thus, has my mention
Let the world forget me, if I choose to forget you)


This Qawwali ends rather beautifully, as Nusrat ji goes on to highlight (I guess) that love doesn't really have a happy ending...

... Mei kehta reh gaya khata-e-mohabbat ki achi saza di
Meri dil ki duniya bana kar mita di

(I kept saying that you've given me a good punishment for committing the mistake of loving,
You made my heart's world and shattered it as well ...)


Sheer amazing beauty. I wish I had a chance to go to this man's live concert...

Mood of the Moment: Romantic

No comments: